One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Christmas Hecticity (I think I just coined a new word)

Here's Bennett with Santa about a quarter of a second before he figured out that Mommy had put him on the knee of some weird dude in red pajamas with a freaky Brillo pad creature growing on his face. He had a spectacular (and, thankfully, out-of-character) meltdown right after the photographer snapped this.

I almost had a meltdown about two minutes later when I couldn't find my wallet when I went to pay for the photos (which are wicked expensive and a total rip-off). Thank goodness Santa's elf saw it peeking out from the folded back shade of the stroller, or this mommy would have given the Grinch a run for his money!

I know it's a little late to tell you this, but we had a very nice Thanksgiving with the Frosty parents and my mom's parents. All was familial love and delicious feasting until we realized after dessert that Bennett had a fever. Of course, it was even more fun at 1:30 am when Ty pounded on my door to tell me that Bennett was now burning up at almost 104 degrees! That wasn't fun for any of us, but Tylenol and a lukewarm sponge bath helped. (I also woke up his pediatrician who told me to give him Tylenol and Ibuprofen in what the ER doctors later told me was overdose level amounts. Anyone know a good pediatrician in Boise?) His doctor's office was closed (without notice) the day after Thanksgiving (because everyone knows that kids never get sick on or around Thanksgiving), so we had to take him to the ER when it was clear his fever wasn't going away. They checked him for ear and bladder infections and determined it was "just a virus."

Anyone else think the phrase "just a virus" is one of the most irritating phrases in the English language? Everyone in our household has had "just a virus" as some point in the last 2 weeks, and I can personally attest that there is no "just" about it. I think I should have the right to give a monster pinch and possibly a vicious noogie to the next medical professional who has the nerve to utter the phrase "just a virus" in my direction.

Bennett's feeling healthy now, but my sinuses are acting like I never had surgery to make them behave. I don't know what's worse, being a healthy mom taking care of a sick baby, or being a sickly mom taking care of a healthy (rambunctious) baby.

I got all of the non-tree decorating done last weekend, and I'm going to be putting up the trees (yes, we put up 2 full-sized trees, one real, one fake) this weekend. I also need to do my traditional bajillion Christmas cards, but first I have to download (or is it upload) all the pictures we've taken since this summer and choose one to include in all of the Christmas cards. I suppose I should also include a Christmas letter so people will have some kindling for their fireplaces. Uh, I mean, so people can hear all about how great Bennett is.

At least I've finished my Christmas shopping. Well, I have one gift left, but I have no idea what to get for a 16 year-old boy whose father has strict rules that change on a whim and who makes him use all his gift cards and cash to buy things like underwear and toothpaste instead of things a 16 year-old boy actually wants as gifts. Any ideas? (No, sadly, I can't get him a new father.)

And on that cheery note, Merry Christmas, y'all!

(Don't worry, I'm not as grumpy and bitter as most of that sounded. It's just my evil sinuses talking.)

8 Comments:

  • I love that blank look on Bennett's face -- like he's trying to figure out what's going on. I'm glad to hear he's feeling better and hope you feel better soon.

    By Blogger Alisha, at 3:11 AM  

  • Wow, Ty is up with Bennett at 1 in the morn? Now that is a good brother- perhaps the best!

    By Blogger Tara, at 7:27 AM  

  • well, happy holidays and i am glad your baby is ok!

    By Blogger tabitha jane, at 9:38 AM  

  • Tara, Ty decided to sleep on the daybed in the nursery so he could take care of Bennett if he woke up during the night. That would be super nice if he just did it because Bennett was sick, but he's been sleeping in there since Bennett out-grew his bassinette and moved into his own room. He is definitely the best brother (and uncle) ever.

    Thanks for the good wishes, ladies.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:20 PM  

  • Your little man is so cute! He looks so different since I saw him at Rachel's wedding!

    By Blogger Priscilla, at 6:23 PM  

  • glad that Tank is all good now. Fevers are totally normal. I know this. You know this. Kids get them. But when they get high, you're supposed to take them to the Dr. Rumor has it, the "high temp" has been changed to something like 110. Freal. 110. 104 is no longer high. I think the drs are high.

    and you can take that to the bank.

    I've had nothing but bad experiences with all forms of medical staff in Boise. And I'm not even kidding. I don't actually think that anyone I know has had good experiences with medical (ha... first I typed mexical) professionals there.

    dude.
    what's up with your state?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:11 PM  

  • As a First Time Parent, I FREAK OUT when Audrey shows even the slightest sign of being sick. I almost saved a huge booger that I sucked out of her nose (with the aspirator, not my mouth) because it looked strange. F'real. I was all "this booger is an odd color - and she's a little fussy - I'll bet she has Sars!"

    Okay, not Sars, but I did kinda over-react. The blessing is that when I go nuts, Gina keeps her head and vice versa.

    For the record, anything with the word "infection" in it should NOT be describes as "just" a viral infection. It's infected, people! That's not normal! I got the same thing from the doc when I had vertigo so terrible I couldn't stand up without barfing. The doc said (after an hour and a half of tests and IV drips): "well, we THINK it's an ear infection, but since we aren't sure, here's a perscription for some over-the-counter meds for sea sickness. Have fun!"

    Seriously. "Have fun."

    By Blogger Faloopa Jones, at 4:49 PM  

  • All ya,ll are funny!

    Newby parents are even funnier! I was one oncet along long time ago. I think it was before most of you were hatched.

    Be glad the doc's said 'just a virus' it could have been so many other things ya know :)

    By Blogger dodyb, at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home