One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Monday, March 20, 2006

The Reason I Started This Blog

I wasn't going to jump on the blogging bandwagon. I have a history of abstaining from bandwagon-jumping. I was the target demographic for the Michael Jackson and New Kids on the Block juggernauts, but I resisted joining the tidal wave of fandom. I will probably never own an Ipod. I never got my ears pierced. When I name my hypothetical children, their names will have no extraneous "y"s or apostrophes. To me, "Everbody's doing it" is a punchline, not a convincing reason to do something. Having a blog was going to end up in the "I never _____" category, until one fateful night...

I was watching TV with my loving husband (Steve) and charmingly nerdy brother (Ty) one evening when a commercial for the NEW! IPEX! BRA! from Victoria's Secret came on the screen. My husband and brother were a bit discomfited to be watching an almost naked girl writhe around on our rather large TV screen while I was in the room. (I like to think they would have been discomfited had I been out of the room, but we mustn't ask questions if we can't handle the answers.) I made some comment about having a skinny stranger in her skivvies wiggling around in my living room uninvited, and Ty joined in the critique of the unexpected soft core adult entertainment. Expected amounts of snarkiness continued till my totally masculine and heterosexual brother made the statement that's going to haunt him till his dying day (if I have any say in it). It went a little something like this:

Gina: Yikes!
Ty: Clothes! Where are her clothes?
Gina: Why is she in my living room in her underwear?
Ty: I really didn't need to see that!
Gina: Geez, eat a cookie or something.
Ty: Well, it does look comfortable.

Yes, my brother decided to announce to his big ol' GI Joe brother-in-law and his big-mouthed big sister that he thought the IPEX bra looked pretty comfy.

I as soon as I could get enough air into my lungs to squeeze words out, I dragged myself off of the floor where I'd been rolling in paroxysms of laughter and said, "Okay, I'm going upstairs to start a blog."

The only reason this wasn't my inaugural blog entry was that I was afraid that having this story out in the ether would make it even MORE diificult for Ty to get a date (with a girl), so I buried it a few entries in to dull the effect. I have many, many embarrassing stories to tell on my beloved brother--but since he's nice enough to help whenever this blogging thing gets to complicated for techologically delayed little me, I won't tell them. At least not all at once.

4 Comments:

  • LIAR . . . I'm the one who said she should eat a cookie.

    Okay, I said it, sometimes the part of my brain that knows what's going to be funny before my conscious mind gets the memo, tells my mouth to say something funny, but doesn't let the instincts that protect my dignity know until it's too late

    . . . and it does look comfortable, why don't they start a line of "teddy" bears made out of that stuff? Who wouldn't snuggle up to that?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:53 PM  

  • Teddy bears made of lingerie models? Yikes, that wouldn't be comfortable at all--you'd always be getting jabbed by clavicles and coke mirrors!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:27 AM  

  • looking forward to more snarky stories about your dear brother . . . giggle.

    By Blogger tabitha jane, at 12:52 PM  

  • I have a bunch of them, but I really want him to find a girl who will marry him some day! I'm afraid if I publish all of my stories, I'll kill his last, best chance for love. (Read: My only chance to share the Grandkid Production burden.)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home