One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Monday, March 09, 2009

Anybody Still Reading This? PLUS: A Challenge To Display Your Creativity and Taste

I know it's been a long time since I posted. I've been busy gestating a tiny human being--get off my case!

Lots has happened since my last post--Christmas was great, I spent all but a few days of January and February sick with various cruds, and Bennett turned two. He is such a big boy! We didn't get his 24 month appointment till about 5 weeks after his birthday, but when we actually saw the doctor, we discovered that our "little" man is 36 3/4" tall and 33 lbs. 6 oz. That puts him around the 90th percentile for both height and weight. I told you he was a big boy! He got lots of praise for his verbal and social development and his robustness in general. It's nice have a professional confirm what we knew already--we have a smart, sweet, healthy boy. And he has very good manners, too--just ask him, he'll tell you "I have nice manners." That kid cracks me up!

Bennett is looking forward to having a baby brother in a few weeks. He likes to pat my tummy and say "Hi, Baby Brother! I love you!" My due date is May 8th, but the doctor says there's not much chance I'll make it till then--the fact that I had pre-eclampsia with Bennett pretty much guarantees I'll have it this time, too. I hope I make it till May, though--I like emeralds better than diamonds! Heehee!

I still have a problem, though...we're having a hard time choosing a name! Please, dear and esteemed friends, gimme a little help. Forgive my cut-and-pasting from an earlier post, I'm far too lazy to retype this stuff...

The only problem with having another boy is that literally all of my favorite boy names have been used by friends of mine in the last 2-3 years. Seriously, who knew my friends had such good taste in boy names? I'm either going to have to bend my "k sound" rules or use a name one of my friends has already used (and risk losing one more friend from my already dwindling collection)...unless one of you geniuses is able to come up with a good one that meets my very exacting criteria:

1. Must have a postive meaning (and while things like "from the willow grove" and "running stream" might be quite lovely and lyrical, they don't count in my book)

2. Doesn't start with a K sound or with a B (not my style to use alliteration in names)

3. Doesn't end with a K sound (messes with the ears when said with our last name)

4. Not so popular that my kid will have to go by Tank K. throughout his school career (think lower than #50 on the Social Security baby name popularity lists for the last few years--but preferably not even common enough to appear on the list)

5. Not the name of one of my friends' children or one of my relatives (unless it's one of the few relatives who actually deserves to have my child as their namesake)

6. Has to be a real name spelled in a predictable fashion, not something made up--I am way past the age where making up a name for my baby is cute (FYI: in my opinion, that age is 18--and since I didn't even have my first kiss till I was 19, I missed that window of opportunity)

7. Not likely to be co-opted as a girls' name in the next few decades.

I realize that you kind of have to be psychic to work with 4, 5 and 7, but that's part of the fun. If you suggest a name that we actually use, you will receive a framed photo of the corresponding child along with a handwritten thank you note telling you how grateful he is to you for saving him from being named Hey You. Let the suggesting commence--and the first person to suggest Pilot Inspektor is going to get a mouth full of Chiclets. And by Chiclets I mean teeth.

And since I'm such a nice person, here are few names that I like but I can't use for reasons alluded to above:

Andrew/Drew
Blake
Cade
David
Dominic
Dylan
Eric
Ethan
Isaac
Jacob/Jake
Jack/Jackson
James
Joshua
Kael
Luke
Matthew
Nathaniel/Nate
Nicholas/Nick
Owen
Patrick
Riley
Sawyer
Spencer
Thomas
William
Zane

Seriously, I really need some help.

20 Comments:

  • I still read! I will work on a name, but I need to point out that in one of your rules... you said it can't start with a B... so how did you get Bennett?

    I like Spencer... you should reconsider that one! It has a great meaning and no k sound... anywhere! I must also say that every Luke I have ever known has been a hottie! HOT-IE! So steer clear from that name... cuz he'll leave you for some silly hoe-bag one day. HA! Oh, wait... my husband is named Luke... I'm no hoe-bag... but I did steal him! :P

    Love ya! Kara Deal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:52 PM  

  • B was perfect for the first one, but not for the next one. It's all well and good and cute for people to give their kids names that all start with the same first letter, but it's not my style.

    As for Spencer, I still like it, I just have a certain personal reason I can't use it. (As in, I'm not naming my kid after a certain person.) Too bad I dated or had crushes on too many guys back in the day--it really diminishes my name options list!

    If we had a different last name, I probably would have named the little guy Luke--but with our last name, he'd sound like he was introducing himself as Lou Kortan or Luke Ortan. So, sadly, it's out. Besides, what would be my Luke's chances of running off with a ho-bag as nice as you? ;)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:07 PM  

  • A week or more ago Brian and I ran across a boy's name that I really liked, but I can't remember it.

    But here are some names I like:
    * Harper - perhaps it's positive meaning could be as an homage to Harper Lee

    * Julian (or Julien)

    * Oliver - um, does "elf army" have a positive meaning for you? If not, this one may not work.

    * Seven - It's a beautiful name for a boy or a girl.

    By Blogger Alisha, at 6:25 PM  

  • Alisha,

    I like the sound of Harper, but we've got friends who already used it for their daughter. Julian is a good name, but we have a niece named Julie, and that's too similar. As for Oliver, I was tortured in Middle School by being forced to sing songs from the musical of that name, so no. As for Seven, it's only an option if we have a seventh child that we want to name very literally. (Which is also the reason we'll probably never get a chance to use Quintus or Octavia.)

    Thank you for the ideas, though! Got anymore?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:34 PM  

  • Seven was actually a reference to Seinfeld. I wouldn't actually recommend it. :)

    It seems that you have too many regulations, but I'll keep thinking.

    By Blogger Alisha, at 3:59 AM  

  • Devin... Ithink you shall name him Devin.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 PM  

  • Oh, that was me. The Devin comment. I have more:

    Garrison - strong
    Grady - child of nobility
    Grant - great
    Ian - God is forgiving
    Isaiah - God is salvation
    Asher - fortunate
    Dane - honorable
    Declan - full of goodness
    Eliot - my God is the Lord
    Ace - one unit
    Alex - defending man
    Anderson - male (my personal favorite)

    I will go through the rest of the alphabet later!

    This is SO FUN!

    By Blogger Kara Deal, at 2:35 PM  

  • There's really no room for creativity here; given Restriction 6 and the gender of the kid, there's a finite number of names that will work. My recommendation? Get yourself a baby name book and a Sharpie and start crossin' 'em out. (Then flip a coin to decide which of the two remaining names the kid gets.)

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 10:14 PM  

  • Alisha, I must have missed that episode somehow...I'm relieved you weren't serious, I had to try really hard to be diplomatic.

    Kara, I really like the name Devin, but my cousin named her kid Devin. Your list has a lot of good names--I'm adding some of them to my list. (But some I'm not because of that pesky no relatives' or ex-boyfriends' names thing. The only name on your list that I don't like is Declan--that's quite an achievement when you're dealing with someone as name-picky as me.) I'm looking forward to your suggestions from the rest of the alphabet! =)

    Lindsey, you're probably right. I'll see if Ty can get me a discounted baby name book from work. (Man, I miss you.)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:27 PM  

  • the rest of the alphabet wasn't very kind.

    Jayce - healer (I'm sure there is another way to spell it... couldn't find it)
    Justus - righteous
    Mateo - Gift of God (not a huge fan of the actual name, LOVE the meaning)
    Micah - who is similar?
    Reese - Enthusiasm
    Simon - listening
    Trueman - faithful (I love the nickname ture... LOVE IT!)
    Wyatt - brave/strong

    So... there you have it! I had a blst with this and I really hope you pick one of my names!!! (no pressure)

    Love ya and happy baby making!

    By Blogger Kara Deal, at 10:07 PM  

  • oh *snort* you can prolly spell it.. Jace! HA! Funny me!

    By Blogger Kara Deal, at 10:09 PM  

  • KK,

    I love you for finding all these names! You rock--why can't you live closer to me so we could hang out and have fun?

    As for the new list: nephew named Jason, so that's too close to Jace. Mateo is Matthew in Spanish, and I have a cousin named Matthew. Steve has a cousin named Micah and a brother named Mike, so that's out. I couldn't use Simon because all I'd ever think of would be "Hello, my name is Simon, and I like to do drawrings" from the Mike Meyers skits on SNL. I like the name Truman, but my dad would disown me if I used it because he thinks Harry Truman was a potty-mouthed reprobate.

    Do you see why I'm having trouble finding a name?!?!?!?!

    Reese is on my list (spelled the original way: Rhys), but Steve doesn't like it as much as I do.

    I love the name Wyatt, but it wasn't on my list because it meant something like marshy field (okay, I made that up, but it was some hippy-dippy meaning). Where did you did you find these meanings? I like a lot of them better than the meanings I've been finding in my resources.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:58 AM  

  • I wish we lived closer too! I miss you friend!

    I just googled baby names and came across the website: babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com

    I like it... but under boynames, there are a ton of girlie names! I just cruised down the meaning section until I found a meaning I thought you would like.

    You do have a problem... I'm not gonna be shy in saying so. Suzanne had this problem with Connor's name because we have a cousin that named their son Connor, but at the end of the day she knew she had to like her son's name. my personal advice is that you do what you need to do. But... I'm not you, so I am sure it's easier said than done. :)

    I secretly hope you pick Garrison or Anderson because I think they both go with Bennett and the whole name has a nice ring to it!

    Happy naming!

    By Blogger Kara Deal, at 2:49 PM  

  • Well, I do like the names Garrison and Anderson, but I like a few others better. A couple of the names you suggested have zoomed to our top 5--you should be very proud of yourself!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:29 AM  

  • Gina, I just wanted to let you know that I still read your blog. I would offer names, but I think I love the hippie-earth names waaayyy too much (afterall, i did name my daughter river). So...I hope you find a name you both genuinely love!

    By Blogger Priscilla, at 4:39 PM  

  • YAY! HAppy news! :)

    By Blogger Kara Deal, at 5:17 PM  

  • Hi Gina, I have never actually commented on your blog before, but since I am not having anymore kids, I just thought I would throw out my favorite boy names...

    Asher- Blessed, Happy
    Elliott- My God is the Lord
    Josiah- The Lord Saves
    Grant- Great

    So I didn't read anyone elses suggestions, hopefully these are helpful.
    Congratulations on baby #2! Can't wait to see pictures.
    Love,
    Laura (Isenberg) K

    By Blogger TLKOREGON, at 8:59 PM  

  • Hey, Laura! I peek at your blog once in a while, but I'm really bad about commenting. I like all of the names you suggested, all but one of them have already been used by friends or family. The other one is in my top five. I must say you have EXCELLENT taste in boy names! Thank you for the suggestions!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:49 AM  

  • Oh, Priscilla--I just realized I accidentally ignored you. Granted, I wouldn't have put River on my names list, that's not a bad thing--it means I finally have a friend who didn't unknowingly steal a name off of my list! Those are pretty few and far between, or we wouldn't be having this blogversation. But I have to tell you, Liam was one of my favorite names (well, William who would be called Liam) till I had to take it off my list because three of my friends used it. So don't go around thinking that I don't like your taste in names--you're part of my current dilemma! =)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:53 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home