One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

What?!?

If you've ever been in my car listening to the radio, or perused my CD collection, or read the music section of my profile, it won't surprise you to find that I enjoy me some classic rock. Don't get me wrong, I like other music, too. But it's always Classic Rock first, all else second.

The first CD I ever bought was Eagles Greatest Hits Vol. II (It's the one with "Seven Bridges Road," which WILL be the go-to lullaby for my theoretical children.) And I don't just love Classic Rock from a distance--I get involved. I sing along, often when the situation calls for a little more decorum than trilling along with Freddie Mercury allows. I once broke up with a guy because he thought The Who sucked. (Okay, there were a lot of other reasons, but I like that one the best.) I nourished the requisite "I wish he wasn't dead, and that he hadn't been a morally bankrupt egomaniac, and that he hadn't gotten all fat and hairy towards the end" crush on Jim Morrison. I think more colleges should offer classes on Bob Dylan's poetry and The Beatles impact on history and culture. I can name more Led Zeppelin songs than you. (Not you Rush).

Let me clarify one little point, though: I can't call myself a "fan" of most of the bands/musicians because I can't actually admire people who are by and large drug-addicted, sexually immoral egomaniacs. But, man, I love the music.

I said all that to say this: You've heard of this little band called The Rolling Stones, yes? They've put out a few albums here and there, put on a couple of rather enjoyable concerts. Well, one of their songs, "Brown Sugar" used to be my favorite. I mean, for YEARS this song was my very, very favorite. I would sing along and bop around, stay in the car to hear the end, get all excited if I heard it on a commercial or a soundtrack...

Then the Internet happened. And I looked up the lyrics. And I. Just. About. Died. See, sometimes I can't understand all the words to songs, even though I really, really like 'em. (Happens with Led Zeppelin all the time, and they're one of my uber-favorites. Come to think of it, maybe my lyrics-challengedness is one of the reasons they can still be one of my favorites--some of their songs are a little raunchy.) Anyway, that's what happened with "Brown Sugar." I couldn't understand all the lyrics, and it turns out that was for the best. Because I couldn't have enjoyed the song the same way if I had known it was about the Old South and masters treating their slaves like prostitutes.

Yikes.

No wonder people looked at me funny when I told them "Brown Sugar" was my favorite song.

10 Comments:

  • i don't think i can comment on the stones without hurting your feelings, but i will say that, yes, brown sugar is not very nice.

    seven bridges road however, magic to my ears.

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 1:21 PM  

  • Stupid internet, always messing up stuff for us.

    Reminds me of my nephews first sentence, "Play, Brick House!" I *guess* if you are still breast feeding its ok to croon along with the The Commodores. (sheesh)

    By Blogger Jason Hill, at 1:25 PM  

  • ha ha ha ha ha ha

    "she's mighty mighty... just letting all hang out!"

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 1:28 PM  

  • That's awful about 'brown sugar'. . . I have to say I'm totally clueless when it comes to music. I love listening & singing along like none other but ask me the artist or title of what I'm singing & 8 out of 10 times I'll have no idea. Sad, I know but I guess we all have our strengths & weaknesses! By the way, would you mind emailing me your phone # @ wendyjcraig@yahoo.com? I wanted to talk to you a bit about Kelsey's wedding. Good times. I love you! Wendy.

    By Blogger Mathias and Craig Families, at 1:51 PM  

  • Well Gina, Van Morrison is my FAVORITE EVER!!! And in so many of his songs he is singing about "jelly roll", so I'm thinking he likes the pastry - jelly roll - until I go on the internet and find out otherwise...dirty man!!!

    By Blogger Priscilla, at 2:24 PM  

  • Rebecca, I'm not a fan of the Stones themselves (they're currently my favorite old person/zombie joke punchline) or certain eras of their music, so you can bash away. Music is such a subjective art form that no matter how good one's taste, you'll never exactly match up with anyone else.

    Jason, I need to meet this nephew of yours. He sounds like a cool little dude.

    Wendy, I'll email you in a matter of moments. (And we don't all need to be music encyclopedias--that's waht friends are for.) (Which, by the way, is by Dionne Warwick. Hee hee!)

    Jeb and/or Pris, I have to say that your wedding music gave me a whole new respect for you, particularly the Star Wars bit and the Van Morrison song you chose. Perfect! (And I'm still giggling about the jelly roll thing.)

    I feel like Tabitha with all this personally-addressed-response-in-one-post business.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:35 PM  

  • I like Brown Sugar. Will you be my Brown Sugar, Gina? It'll be wild.

    Yum yum! candy corns!

    By Blogger Raj Van Allen, at 2:10 PM  

  • Raj, I'm a lot more likely to be my husband's White Sugar than your Brown Sugar. (A little pale over here.)

    But thanks for asking, you big ol' flirt.

    One tip, though: propositioning married women rarely ends well.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:55 PM  

  • so you're saying there's a chance? Yesssssss!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Raj Van Allen, at 6:41 PM  

  • Your chances are more than 99% lower than a snowball's chance in Hell.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home