One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cognates Are Our Friends

I spent a couple of hours in the Post Office yesterday filling out forms to ship 7 big ol' care packages that my company's charitable foundation assembled for troops in Afghanistan and Kazikstan. It was kind of a pain to fill out that much paperwork, but I'm glad I was there--and not just because the people who get the packages will be really happy to receive them.

Actually, the main reason I was glad I was there is because I got to help someone by using my (limited) Spanish--it was as close to an adventure as I get anymore. This lady came into the Post Office and asked some questions in Spanish, but the postal worker couldn't understand her--I was concentrating on my forms and didn't notice the exchange, but the guy at the desk asked me as she was leaving if I happened to speak Spanish.

Now, I took two years in high school and two in college, but only really learned anything during the first year because of various teacher-related reasons. This means the last time I spoke any Spanish was in 1995, and the last time I spoke it well was during my Freshman year of High School (1990)--yes, I'm old. Most of you were still in Kindergarten back then, yes, yes, I've heard it before. Anyway, I figured I would at least try, and maybe my attempts would be better than nothing. I called her back to the main lobby with a "Tienes un pregunta?" (You have a question?) At least I think that's what it means...Lisa can straighten me out if she's reading this.

It turns out that I only had to use maybe three vocabulary words in the entire conversation--"ropa/clothes" and "caja/box" and "escriba/write". The rest of the words we used in our conversation (along with a fair amount of pointing and head shaking/nodding) were cognates (words that sound or look similar in both languages) like "necesita" or "empacar" or "permita" or "en me carro" or "papel" (forgive my spelling, like I said, it's been over a decade). I admit I had to have her write the phrase with the word empacar, because I couldn't understand what word she was using since she spoke sort of quickly and the words were running together in my ears--but as soon as she wrote it, I figured out what she meant. (She wanted to know if she could buy a box and pack it in the lobby with the clothes she had in her car to send a gift to her sister in Florida. And since I was there to help, she also asked how long it would take to send some documents to Colombia.) It wasn't all pretty, but I was really proud of myself for functioning that well on the fly, especially since the only Spanish I've spoken in over 10 years has consisted of telling a server at El Tapatio "Menos cebollas (sp?), menos lechuga, por favor" (no onions, no lettuce, please).

Thank goodness for cognates--they're the best thing about Latin-based languages, and they're mighty handy for functioning in German-speaking countries, too.

I feel so flushed with my victory over a foreign language, I might have to start playing with my Beginning French CDs or something. Before I die, I want to be able to claim (truthfully) that I speak seven languages. I fully admit it's a pride thing as much as anything--everyone thinks that people who speak seven languages are smart. I've got English down pat. I think my Spanish is in pretty good shape for the moment. I could brush up on my German if Tabitha Jane would pack me in her suitcase when she goes to The Continent. I can read my Ancient Greek Bible with a pretty decent comprehension rate. That's four. I'm learning lots of handy phrases from my Italian Phrase-of-the-Day Calendar. (Today's is particularly useful: Sono comode quelle scarpe? "Are those shoes comfortable?" (No, comode is not a congnate for "toilet" in this instance. Punks.) I've got my French lessons loaded to my computer. That's six. What should I choose for the seventh?

10 Comments:

  • Klingon.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 7:02 PM  

  • Learn something else with me . . . . How about Arabic . . . Steve would be ecstatic.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:32 PM  

  • Lindsey, I'm still traumatized by childhood forced-viewings of Star Trek. There's no way I'm going to willingly spend more time with anything related to that show.

    Ty, you've already conned me into learning two new alphabets. How about something that doesn't require me to learn one of the most difficult scripts on the planet?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:40 AM  

  • First, good job on the Spanish victory, even spanish speaking person is proud, or even relieved that you didn't completely butcher the language.

    Second... I think you should learn Somali. I worked with a girl from Somalia and I heard her speak her her family a few times on the phone... holy crap, its cool. Its a bunch of choc toobwa kika booyah's that's just too insane to actually be a language. Anyways, after she wipped up all the spit from the phone after her converstaion with her sister, she said it really is a language...who knew, but she is one of those who speaks 7 languages. I think it would be cool to learn some random African language and completly shock the people there. So, Somali it is then, no?

    By Blogger Lisa, at 10:35 AM  

  • oh!!! yes!!! Arabic... it's so pretty written out. I love it.
    You could have said:
    dé la lechuga a mi hermano por favor.
    to the waiter... twould have been-- wait for it-- awesome.

    I say stick with the latin languages. They're all the same anyway... I've never been taught Itallian, but you can pretty much figure it out if you know spanish. Nah. My money is still on arabic.

    By Blogger arwen, at 11:13 AM  

  • Well I'm going to be working on Arabic for the next year. Of course Latin would probably be the easiest to grab.

    And I've got copies of different Jihadi manuals I could give you. ;)

    Oh, did you put anything in the care package to signify that it was from you? After all, I should be on the ground in the Afghan/Kazik-stan area in the next month or so.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 AM  

  • I'm too indecisive. I think I may have to change my goal from 7 languages to 10. That way I can brush up on my Hebrew (it's going to take a lot of brushing), add Latin (which ought to be fairly simple since I'm familiar with several of its offspring--and since it's a dead language I won't have to converse in it, just read, so no one will know my grammar is bad), and then add Arabic, and Russian.

    For Lindsey and Aaron, I could make it 12 and work on Elvish and Dwarvish, but I don't think I'll take it that far. Even I am not that nerdy.

    Redleg, I made 3 or 4 cards with construction paper and stickers (it was fun!) and signed my name to 'em. So if anyone keeps them till you arrive you'd be able to tell it was from me. The Holland & Hart Foundation was the official sender, so if anyone remembers the source, you could tell from that. Or from the jokes they'd still be making about all the Celine Dion CDs--a nice lady went through her collection and donated a bunch of Phil Collins and Celine Dion, and I didn't have the heart to tell her that they'd probably be more a source for ridicule than listening pleasure. I don't know, maybe they'll be bored enough to listen to 'em. But I doubt it. Hey, maybe they can use 'em in the interrogation room to break suspects. No, that would be too cruel--I can't condone that magnitude of torture. (Hee!)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:14 PM  

  • Lisa, I'm sure Somali is a lovely and interesting language. But no. I think I'd like to stick to languages spoken in countries that I want to visit. Somalia is WAY down on my list. Right after Chad. And Chipster.

    (And, yes, I do want to visit Ancient Greece--I just don't know anyone with a time machine yet.)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:20 PM  

  • You no like-a da imaginary languages? How about this?

    I really don't think it gets any cooler than that.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 1:57 PM  

  • You just blew my mind, Lindsey. But I'm too lazy to learn to write all fancy like that. (That's why I'm saving Arabic for last.)

    It would make a great tattoo, though. But I can't get a tattoo because my mother-in-law thinks that people with tattoos are going to Hell.¡

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home