One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Thursday, November 30, 2006

You Know How I Know I'm Old?: Top 8 Things That Prove Gina's a Fogey


Okay, I was trying to quote a movie with my post's title, but I don't think it was an effective attempt. Oh well. It would be funny if you could hear it the way it sounds in my head.

I'm only 32 years old, but I'm pretty sure I'm 80 on the inside. There are many ways that I can tell that I'm getting old, so since confession is good for the soul, I thought I'd share a few...

1.) Just the other day, some cute little girls from the neighborhood were scooting down the sidewalk on their Razors, and instead of thinking, "Aw, how cute/fun/sweet!" I thought, "Darn kids! Get off my lawn!"

2.) The other day, I was inordinately thrilled over my purchase of a new pair of slippers. And they were this kind:Not this kind:


3.) I have had at least half a dozen conversations about 401k retirement investment accounts this week. And it's only Thursday morning. And I'm not an accountant.



4.) A few weeks ago, I was waiting for my niece in the Juniors section of JC Penney, and found myself gazing at a rack of skirts. They were plaid, and I love me some plaid. A few years ago, I would have tried one on. But instead of thinking, "Cute!" I heard my dad's voice saying, "Nice belt. Where's the rest of it?" And I agreed with the voice.


5.) The other day, a co-worker was describing his impromptu roadtrip from Boise to Seattle (which took less than 36 hours, round-trip, and did not include a good night's sleep). Instead of admiring his spontaneity, as I would have done when I was young and hip, I scoffed at him. I've taken to scoffing at spontaneity, people!



6.) Back in the day, my only criteria when it came to deciding what I wanted to eat was, "Will it taste yummy?" Now it's "Will it give me heartburn?" I take a minimum of 8 Rolaids a day. That's just sad.



7.) I've recently realized I make little grunting noises whenever I sit down on (or get up from) the couch. This pathetic display started long before I got all pregnant and cumbersome. The other day I found myself longing for a trip to the furniture store to buy couches that were less cushy and more exit-friendly. It's pitiful, really.


8.) A few weeks ago, The Rolling Stones came to town. Yes, that's right. They came to Boise, Idaho. THAT'S never happened before! Now, I lovelovelove most of The Stones' music, and a friend (whose opinion I hold in the utmost esteem, particularly with regard to music) had nothing but praise for their live show. But instead of getting out my wallet and taking advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity to see one of the last great rock bands LIVE and IN PERSON? I thought, "Eh, the concert is on a weeknight. And the traffic is going to be terrible. And I don't want to be there to witness Mick breaking a hip--at his age, he really should know better. I'd rather just stay home and watch House."

My 21 year-old self would be so disappointed in me.

7 Comments:

  • if i'm not mistaken, the Rolling Stones came to nampa.... not boise...
    ...i'm just sayin... The RS in funky little Nampa is even more amazing.

    I'm old too. I saw those "slippers" and thought "those aren't slippers! how are those supposed to keep your feet warm!"
    and before i even read the belt comment, I thought it. we are one and the same, Gina Killersbabymamma... one and the same.

    By Blogger arwen, at 2:33 PM  

  • Yeah, technically they performed in Nampa (at the Idaho Center, which was built for rodeos and monster truck rallies), but it was billed as a Boise show. It IS funnier to think of them performing in Nampa. Guess they wanna bank as much as possible on this tour, before one of them gets too senile to remember their lyrics.

    Good to know I'm not the only fogey in the group!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:57 PM  

  • I guess we'll really see how close we are in age, since I'm going to list which of these I have yet to accomplish and what age I was when I started doing these things:

    1: fourteen
    2: NA (I've never liked any kind of slippers)
    3: Not yet
    4: NA on the wearing those (plaid's not my thing;]), but I've been embarrised for people wearing those since I was ninteen.
    5: Twenty (still would have done it til 22.
    6: At fourteen I gave up on this, since I discovered that every food gicves me heartburn.
    7: Fourteen, of course part of that was soccer practice, and a knee injury.
    8: At twenty-five, I realized that I am a people person, not a concert person.

    So I guess I started early on a lot of these, but I have to get a job before I start talking about my own retirement too much. I'm guessing that I wont get to that point for another three to six years. I suppost you could posit equivalents; just last year, I decided not to wear my signature Adidas all the time (no. 4), and I used to like it when it snowed, now I just worry about getting in an accident.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:47 PM  

  • Ryan and I were just starting to feel old...we now have...
    a.) A mini van
    b.)a potty chair in our bathroom
    c.) We can't do much at night bacuse we have to get home to put our son to bed
    d.) Find ourselves scoffing at "young people" for the way they waste their money
    5.) We now have fish stickers all over the bottom of our tub to keep a little someone from slipping.

    Man we're old parents

    By Blogger Jess, at 11:37 AM  

  • Oh and just last summer (when I was grouchy and pregnant) I called the cops on some house about four doors down from mine. It was like 11:00 at night adn they were having a live rock concert in their front yard...my windows were shaking and I got really grumpy. But I ask you this, at the time I was 21,,,what 21 year old calls the cops to report a loud concert...yeah I feel like a real cool person.

    By Blogger Jess, at 11:39 AM  

  • Jess, I don't know if this is reassurance for you or just further confirmation of my fogeyness, but my regard for you has only risen because of your revelation. A 21 year-old who calls the cops because of a loud party is the kind of 21 year-old I can be proud to hang with.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:03 PM  

  • take it from me. you're only as old as you act. and no gina. I'm not 10 years old :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home