One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Overkill


At the second of the two baby showers thrown for me and TANK last week, I got the most curious gift. Actually, the gift itself was pretty normal: a standard-issue rattle with little animals on the front. It was the packaging that caught my attention...

At the top of the back of the package, there was a paragraph that said something to the effect of:

Babies love rattles! Studies have shown that rattles are good for babies' hand-eye coordination. Rattles are important to a baby's development. Your baby will have hours of fun with this rattle!


Okay. Good to know. Maybe a little more enthusiasm than strictly necessary, but okay. There are a lot of baby products out there, so you can't blame this company for doing everything they can to generate interest in their otherwise unremarkable rattle.

Here's the thing that really got me: this enthusiastic little paragraph was deemed so vital that it was reprinted in FIVE MORE LANGUAGES! Yes, I had the pleasure of reading how entertaining and important this little rattle is in English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian. I didn't read the Dutch version because I don't read Dutch.



What really caught my eye was the fact that the washing instructions and any safety warnings were only printed in English. The only part they bothered to translate was the "rattles are great" portion of the text. It seems to me that if they're going to go to the effort to translate this information into a grand total of six (count them, SIX!) languages, the least they could do would be to include the pertinent stuff along with the "rah-rah-yay-rattles" stuff.

The whole translation effort just seems like overkill to me. Most expectant mothers, regardless of their native language, know the basics of rattles. If they're smart enough to figure out that they're pregnant, they're smart enough to figure out a rattle.

7 Comments:

  • 1. I have seen this for myself and, if anything, Gina is being gracious about the content of the translated portion.

    2. My booklust knows very few bounds, but even if I were not so book-easy, I would like the cut of that dictionary's jib.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:40 PM  

  • Speaking of TANK, how are you feeling??

    By Blogger Jess, at 11:20 PM  

  • Ty, I chose that dictionary because a) I knew you'd be intrigued, because b) I couldn't figure out exactly which language was being translated into French. And this is after I read the associated blurb. I think it might be the Jersey language, which I didn't realize was any different from English, it being an island off England and all.

    Jess, I'm feeling pretty good overall. Still haven't gained much weight, but TANK was measuring really big (83rd percentile) at the last ultrasound, so I guess I'm still losing my fat deposits as the baby keeps growing. It's kinda weird though. But as long as the munchkin's healthy and growing, I'm certainly not going to complain about having little to no baby weight to lose!

    I'm having some trouble with dead-arm/hand and related swelling. My fingers hurt all the time, and Mr. Sciatica likes me enough to want to visit All. The. Time. But the doctor isn't worried about the swelling as long as I can still grip stuff, so I guess it's no big deal.

    I go in for my GD test either tomorrow or Monday. I'll be getting those RH factor shots and an iron level test at the same time, so that will be loads of fun. (Ick.) Thanks for the inconvenient blood type, Dad!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:24 AM  

  • Once I saw a sign in a restroom, requesting that I wash my hands. As I did just that, I noticed that the sign was translated into about 12-15 languages. Being that I know only 1.3 languages, I searched for the other .3 one that I know...Deutsch. Nope, no German. However, they did have Greek. ? Also, I'm pretty sure there were at least 8 dead languages translated there. I know, it was super weird.

    By Blogger RoniZee, at 10:41 AM  

  • I know the sign you're talking about, Roni! The different languages were written around the edges or something. It was really weird, but fascinating at the same time.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:16 AM  

  • I like you Gina! But I hate rattles. So. Annoying. I guess my children will have no enthusiastic hand-eye coordination skills to be so joyful about, in either English or Spanish. Too bad.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 1:25 PM  

  • i just like that the word rattle was used no less than 15 times in the promotion...

    By Blogger arwen, at 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home