One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Friday, April 07, 2006

Why Did I Like These? Top 8 Shows From My Childhood That Haven't Held Up

I was an even-tempered kid (most of the time), but you could be guaranteed a tantrum if you got in the way of my Little House obsession. I watched that show as religiously as Survivor fanatics watched the first couple of seasons. I was sure it was the Greatest Show Ever. Until a few years ago, I still remembered it with fondness...until I stumbled across an episode on cable. Yikes. What tripe! It's good for snark-fodder and nothing else. In fact, a stunning majority of the shows I watched in my grade school years are pretty cringe-worthy.

1.) Little House on the Prairie

2.) CHiPs (man, did I have a crush on Ponch!)

3.) Dukes of Hazzard (Bo is still kinda hot, though)

4.) Bionic Woman/The 6 Million Dollar Man (let's face it, they're the same show, they just changed the names on the scripts)

5.) Knight Rider

6.) Greatest American Hero

7.) Buck Rogers

8.) Facts of Life (you take the good, you take the bad...you misplace the good and you're left with this show)

You'll notice that Star Trek is not on this list. That's not because I think it held up well, it's because it doesn't fit the criteria for this list. To make this list, I had to have actually liked the show once upon a time. I always loathed that Star Trek drek, and I'll always hold a grudge against my mom for forcing me to watch it every Saturday while I folded the laundry. I enjoyed folding the laundry more than I enjoyed watching Star Trek, and I was just as lazy as a kid as I am now! That's sayin' something!

7 Comments:

  • "believe it or not, i'm walking on air! i never thought i could feel so freeeeeee... flying along on a wing and a prayer. who could it be? believe it or not it's just me"

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 9:27 AM  

  • I was about to e-mail you and tell you how much I've been enjoying your blog, but then I realized I don't have your e-mail address. Or if I do, I don't know where it is. So please accept this as a (slightly less personal) substitute!

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 7:34 PM  

  • Lindsey, I'm glad you couldn't find my email address because now everyone (all 5 of them) who reads my blog will see your comment and know that a smart babe like you gave me a compliment. I'm just vain enough to be happy about that.

    Rebecca, isn't it sad that the show's theme song held up better than the show? I remember that song coming up on the Muzak when I worked at Mervyn's in my college days. I actually kind of dig the song...but don't tell anyone I said that.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:08 AM  

  • Reasons to like these shows:

    1. PA flirting with Merlin Olsen b/c Michael Landon's acting wasn't good enough to show any difference btw emotions.

    2. Ponch singing Celebration.

    3. Pulling on the steering wheel makes the car go up! (Oh, and don't forget Coy and Vance)

    4. That sound. there are days when I need the sound to open a jar of pickles. (Hmmmm, so one bionic leg can allow a person to run 60 mph . . .)

    5. The KITT and KARR episodes.

    6. That hair.

    7. Gary Coleman as an ancient wiseman.

    8. Uh . . . I got nuthin'

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:06 PM  

  • Ty, those are reasons to like to make fun of these shows, not reasons to actually like these shows.

    But then, I usually like things I can make fun of even better than things that don't require snark, so there you go.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:27 PM  

  • Gina!! Write me back. It's me. namilos dot sivart at gmail dot com. I guess you heard Karen Hinds got married. I think she's living in California in the LA area. Once we get on e-mail then I'll get you phone numbers and stuff.

    By Blogger Travis, at 9:00 PM  

  • Travis,

    Consider yourself emailed. Sorry I was such a slacker--I promise I had a good (well, valid) reason!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home