One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Friday, May 05, 2006

Yuck! Top 8 Foods I'd Rather Starve Than Eat

I love food, probably more than I ought. But it's no secret I'm a picky eater. There are certain foods I just cannot bear to smell or taste, let alone consume. I'm not a fan of vegetables in general--raw celery? You might as well shove bamboo shoots under by nails. And no, peanut butter does not make it better. Brussels Sprouts? What are those, a Cosmic joke? While we're at it, who decided it was a good idea to eat liver or tripe? That must have been some kind of Double Dog Dare.

And meat that's sweet? Ewwww! So, so repulsive. Believe me, my life would be easier if barbecue sauce didn't gag me, if the very thought of pineapple on pizza or apricots on chicken didn't send my tastebuds into a blind panic. One of my foundational food philosophies is that sweet is sweet and savory is savory and never the twain should meet. I love dessert--I'll even eat it first--but it shouldn't be on my dinner plate. Seriously, sweet and sour dishes? An abomination. That raw broccoli salad with raisins and onions that my sister-in-law makes? Dude, no wonder we don't get along very well. What kind of sadist decided on that combination?

It's a pain in the neck for a "foodie" to have such a limited list of acceptable ingredients. Know what's even worse than being fundamentally opposed to such a vast percentage of food? People who try to convince me that I'm wrong. Seriously, their tastebuds may enjoy that stuff, but mine do not. Unless they want to donate their tastebuds and pay for my transplant, I'm not going to like their filet of sole with mango salsa. I'm all grown up, I don't need people (like my mother-in-law, God bless her) telling me that something is good for me or that I should just try it again because maybe I'll like it this time. If it's got certain ingredients in it, I don't care if it's served on a solid gold tray brought in by Christian Bale riding shirtless on a unicorn's back--I'm not going to put myself through the guaranteed torture of eating it. If other people like it, that's great--they can have my share. But food is more personal than religion or politics--no amount of proselytizing is going to convert me to any of these enemies of my tastebuds:

1.) Bell Peppers (especially the green ones)

2.) Onions (especially raw)

3.) Curry (just the smell nauseates me, and I'm not even pregnant!)

4.) Cantaloupe

5.) Black Licorice

6.) Beets (especially pickled)

7.) Sweet Pickles

8.) Balsamic Vinegar

Which foods are worse than starvation in your book?

6 Comments:

  • By Blogger Unknown, at 11:18 PM  

  • Ty... I think it's time for an intervention. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

    you know... I used to be a really picky eater. But look at me now! ok. I'm not going to tell you to try something you know you don't like. I'm just saying, when I was little, I didn't like cauliflower. Now, I can't get enough of it. I don't think i've ever had tomato soup, but I know that I hate it because my baby book said so. Don't avoid things that you didn't like as a kid... you never know. But I agree with the list in general. Some people just don't like normal food. I, for one, think that everything should be sweet. Burgers should always have pineapple and the only kind of BBQ sauce that should be in existence is Spicy Honey. I kept telling husband that I didn't like Sushi but he was so sure that I would like a California roll. I thought "hmm... maybe I would like it..." so I tried it. It did not go well. Did not go well at all. So, perhaps learning from my experience, rather than my words is a better way to go...

    By Blogger arwen, at 12:12 AM  

  • Sadly, this list is not just stuff I hated as a kid. When I was a kid, the list was much longer--I eat a lot of stuff on purpose now that I wouldn't have eaten on a dare when I was a kid. And I've tried (accidentally or on purpose) everything on this list--except curry--in the last year. Yep, still hate every single one of 'em.

    About 5 years ago, I went on a retreat with our church group and the only thing we had for dinner was this curry soup--the guy who made it was so proud of his recipe that it would have been rude not to at least try to eat it, so I had several spoonfuls. It was torture. Everyone else thought it was delicious, so it was the curry, not the recipe. Ugh! Curry! Blergh. I had to stop going to one of my favorite Italian restaurants in downtown Portland because it was next to an Indian restaurant and the wafting curry smells made me ill.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:26 AM  

  • I'm with you, Gina. If Christian Bale shows up shirtless with a unicorn (or just happy to see me?), I won't be interested in food either.

    By Blogger Lindsey, at 3:49 PM  

  • I love pretty much any food. Especially desserts. The one thing I cannot stand though, is pretty much any left overs. The texture change is to much for me. I would rather go without eating then reheat yesterdays meal (particularly if it is from a restaurant. Very seldom do I take something home with me)

    By Blogger Jess, at 6:49 PM  

  • Gina...don't for get jello especially green jello!

    By Blogger dodyb, at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home