One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Friday, April 21, 2006

Swoon: Top 8 Cary Grant Movies

An interviewer once said to Cary Grant, "Everybody would like to be Cary Grant", Grant is said to have replied, "So would I." I love a man who has every reason to take himself too seriously but doesn't.

And so, without further ado, my Top 8 Favorite Cary Grant Movies...


1.) The Philadelphia Story

2.) His Girl Friday

3.) Bringing Up Baby

4.) My Favorite Wife

5.) Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

6.) Arsenic and Old Lace

7.) The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer

8.) North by Northwest

This was the first time I was really tempted to make my Top 8 a Top 10, since it seems a sin to leave To Catch a Theif and An Affair to Remember off my list. But I found a way to mention them without technically breaking any self-imposed rules, so there you go. If you haven't seen these movies, get thee to a Blockbuster, ASAP!

I recently discovered some interesting tidbits of information about Cary Grant:
  • he has only one front tooth (lost one in a childhood acident and got someone at a dental college to squish the others together so he wouldn't get in trouble with his father)
  • he turned down the role of James Bond
  • during World War II, he donated his salaries from two of his biggest films to war relief efforts
  • he was devoted to his stepson, and continued to play a paternal role in his life for nearly 30 years after he and Barbara Hutton divorced (Lance's death in a plane crash devastated him, but he helped Barbara arrange the funeral)
  • he named his dog Archie Leech (which was his birth name)
  • he very wisely retired from film at the age of 62 (while he was still far more attractive than a mortal man should be), thus preserving his persona instead of hanging around too long and becoming a shell of his former self

I'm sure he was capable of being a right bastard in real life (I've heard he, um, wasn't easy to live with), but knowing these little things about him makes me swoon over him just a little more than I did before. And I was already pretty swoony in the first place. I'm just glad he chose a screen name--it would be embarrassing to be this besotted over a guy named Archie Leech.

4 Comments:

  • YAY! You are my friend too! Thanks for putting me on your little side bar thingy too! It's a mark of true friendship and I am all flushed with pride right now! Like I told Lisa, I would SO PUT YOU on mine, if I knew how to do it... she said to follow the little rule thingy... but I find that they come in a different language. Computer language. Me no comprende.

    ANYWAY... I will be blogging soon. I am on a strike! Suzanne has to blog and put some pictures up of my neice before I will EVER blog again!

    Love you! Miss you! Thank you!
    KK

    By Blogger Kara Deal, at 5:58 PM  

  • Re KK: Gina, I'm wondering how you managed that and I didn't, considering that you have me do all that stuff for you.

    Re Mr. Grant: I do have a soft spot for Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House (wouldn't it be more properly Mrs. Blandings' since she had more to say than he on the matter).

    Additionally, though I agree with Sean Connery's decision to ignore Mr. Grant's precedent in regard to the 007 enterprise, I believe it unwise of him to follow the same anti-Grant methodology in choosing a retirement date.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:47 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:29 AM  

  • Okay, I confess. KK, I never would have been able to link your blog if it weren't for Ty. He's my unpaid professional blog administrator. I'm not even capable of adding a link without him. Those pictures in the Klassy Lady Faceoff? Never would have had them without the boy's help.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home