One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Friday, July 28, 2006

They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To: Top 8 Old Hollywood Men

It's no secret that I love old movies. Well, I must confess...it's not just because of the wardrobes and the melodrama. It's also because of fine (and I do mean fine) actors like these.

Some might think that Jimmy Stewart is conspicuously missing from my list. Actually, I love Jimmy Stewart, and respect him as a person, too. But I don't find him attractive. Wonder why? Ever met my dad? Seen pictures of him from high school and college?

Yeah, that's why. When Killer gets in the mood to watch It's a Wonderful Life at Christmastime, he says, "Wanna watch your dad?" So many people have commented on their similarities (both in their looks and in their "vibe" or persona) that I just can't think of good ol' Jimmy that way. It's kinda squicky when other people do, too. So please don't drool over Jimmy Stewart in my presence, or I may be forced to say something sexy about your dad, just to get even. Nobody wants that. That's just not right.










Anyway, back to my favorite suave, sophisticated, charming, handsome men of yore...nobody these days could hold a candle to these eight in their prime:


1.) Cary Grant (No one compares; if you don't believe me, go rent any film he ever made.)




















2.) Gene Kelly (The only man masculine enough to dance ballet and still look macho.)




















3.) Paul Newman (Stayed in his prime for over 30 years, and responsible for raising over $200 million for charity to boot.)




















4.) Gary Cooper (I once dated a boy whose dad's name was Gary Cooper. Sadly, no relation.)




















5.) Gregory Peck (Plus, from all reports, he was as decent and honorable as the characters he played.)



















6.) Clark Gable (A more charming rogue has never walked the earth.)




















7.) Rock Hudson (Yeah, I know...but he's still handsome and charming, especially in his movies with Doris Day.)




















8.) Marlon Brando (One of Hollywood's best object lessons: incomparable looks and talent in his prime, but he let himself go and ended up repulsive and craaaaaaazy.)




















Brad Pitt, eat your heart out.

12 Comments:

  • I am so glad that Gregory Peck made the list. I love him.

    By Blogger RoniZee, at 4:20 PM  

  • Me, too. He seems like he would have been the most reassuring person to be around, like nothing bad could ever happen if he had your back. Plus, gorgeous.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:32 PM  

  • seriously, marlon brando was hooooooooooot. hot. hot. hot. i've heard people make comparisons to brandon davis but no, he's no marlon.

    also, as far as rock goes... that, ehem, issue doesn't stop me from finding anderson cooper beyond sexy.

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 5:51 PM  

  • Ewwww! Brandon Davis isn't fit to iron Brando's muumuu. He's in the middle of a greasy slid into Marlon's later years, and he's not even thirty.

    As for Anderson Cooper? Word. Wordy word word. And also, yum.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:55 PM  

  • oh, sorry for the broken brandon link, but maybe it's like how vampires can't see themselves in mirrors... links to the devil are broken.

    (i'm sorry brandon, i don't think you're the devil. but i do hope you find jesus soon.)

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 7:48 PM  

  • Ahhh . . . Cary Grant. Deserves the one spot because of his good looks, unending charm, and the voice that tickles your imagination. Very wide variety of talent in comedy and drama. And he never took himself very seriously. My kinda man.

    And Gene Kelly. I soooooooooo agree with you on number two! Anyone doubting just needs to see "Singing in the Rain." It says it all, even in the cheesy section that includes the ballet.

    I'll never understand why Fred Astair is the one most referenced. He can't even make a spark against Gene, let alone light the proverbial candle. All Fred could do was dance, he couldn't act. Watch ANY of his movies!

    And besides that, his name was FRED. Doesn't that just prove it?

    Sigh . . .

    Thanks, Gina, for giving me something good to think about before I go to sleep!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 PM  

  • You made me wish I could turn on Cary Grant movies all day! I love your list, they sure don't make 'em like they use to! Thanks for the comment on our blog, I definitely need some wedding help, I can't believe it's so close! Anyway, I'll get in touch soon with options for assistance! Until then, love you & can't wait to see you either!

    By Blogger Mathias and Craig Families, at 11:00 AM  

  • i know we have had this convo before and yes, the straight ballerina was a freakishly good looking man, but c'mon... no Sinatra? You are, once again, dead to me. You need to make a list of "arwen's men that I just don't get" that would make up for all of the bad vibes that you have been fed ex-ing my way... overnight express home delivery by the way..

    p.s. I have some pants that Andy Cooper's mom made for me.....
    wait... Andy's "one of THEM"???? What?

    By Blogger arwen, at 10:53 PM  

  • Arwen, Sinatra had pretty eyes and a nice voice, but he just doesn't flip my switch. Plus, he seems so tiny and frail that I'm pretty sure I could have put him in my pocket. (Same with DMony.) Besides, as I've said before, I'm glad we have different taste in celebrities, because this way we won't have to brawl when they can't decide between us. =)

    Daisy, I thought you liked the name Fred, since you call so many people by it.

    Wen, just give me a call and I'll see what I can do.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:44 AM  

  • Is it just me or do Marlon Brando's lips look a little bit like Melanie Griffith's? All puffed up and borderline scary.

    By Blogger RoniZee, at 2:29 PM  

  • Brando's lips ARE kind of puffy and scary. But not as puffy and scary as HE was those last few decades...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:08 PM  

  • wait... Anderson Cooper is a gay? WHAT?!

    By Blogger arwen, at 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home