One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Brave New World: Top 8 (More) Modern Artists

I've decided it is time for me to prove that my musical tastes do indeed reach beyond the 1970s. Some of the selections on this list may not seem so "modern" or "current" to some of you whippersnappers, but try to remember that I'm an old lady, so my perspective on such things is a little different. You can argue with me once you cross the threshhold to thirty. (If I haven't completely lost my hearing by then.)

Feel free to try to convert me to your newfangled tunes. I'll probably just mock your choices--but that's fun, too.

And now, without further ado, my much anticipated and alluded to Top 8 (More) Modern Artists list:

1.) Great Big Sea

2.) Sarah McLachlan

3.) Nirvana

4.) U2

5.) R.E.M.

6.) Elvis Costello

7.) Eve 6

8.) Cake

7 Comments:

  • first of all. cake, oh heck yes.

    second... she by elvis costello makes my knees weak.

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 2:41 PM  

  • My current most-coveted album would be a Greatest Hits album by Cake. Any idea as to whether it exists?

    I'm usually led to an artist by a certain song, but Elvis Costello is one of those rarities who I just like because he is what he is and he does what he does. I'd have a very hard time picking one favorite song--I just like how all of them sound. That's talent right there.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:29 PM  

  • one of my biggest regrets of ever was that cake and (oh my word i'm still not over this) violent femmes YES I SAID VIOLENT FEMMES were playing on my thirtieth birthday and i did not go.

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 5:38 PM  

  • I went on itunes to listen to this so called cake band. Interedting, I might like them. I agree 100% with Rebecca Marie about "She".

    By Blogger Jess, at 12:45 AM  

  • I also love cake. It takes me back to high school days, and always makes me think of Ben Roberts...

    They were here last summer, playing opening day at the Del Mar race track, we were there, but didn't stay for the concert. I am still kicking myself for not staying. (the band was supposed to go on stage at 4pm, we waited til 5:30 and there was no one playing Go the Distance, or Never There, or Sheep Go to Heaven.... so we left. we were tired of waiting. I immediately regreted that decision. Anyways, yea for Cake, and Sarah McLachlan (my alltime forever favorite singer until I die), and U2. I salute you, GIna.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 5:33 PM  

  • Who knew Cake would cause such a stir? Clearly, my good taste in music has rubbed off on my friends. (Hee hee! Yes, I'm taking credit for your good taste. It's more fun that way.) And you freaks who opted out of a Cake (and Violent Femmes!) concert have earned any bad Karma you've been experiencing. No good bands even come near Boise, and you're supposed to go to all the good shows so I can live vicariously.

    And yes, I'm old, old, old. Decrepit, even. But you still think I rock.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:57 AM  

  • What a great and informative post thanks for share and just keep up the good work.
    Travel to Vietnam

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home