One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Thursday, July 20, 2006

This One Time, in High School

Another long story, but with funny bits that might make it worth the read...

I was a sophomore the first year I attended Columbia Christian High School. I already knew most of the kids in my class from youth group activities, family connections, camp, or through my best friend who'd attended Columbia since Kindergarten. I knew there weren't many dating prospects there--most of the boys were like annoying brothers or cousins, I'd known them so long. But that was okay--I was nursing two or three long-term crushes in other venues, so my plate was already full.

Then one day, about a month or two into the school year, a really cute new guy walked into Typing class. You might as well have thrown raw meat into a piranha pool. All the girls lost their blessed minds. This kind of marathon flirting and self-throwing you haven't seen since the king held auditions for a new wife in the book of Esther.

But the new guy, let's call him PSG for Preferred Stock Guy (because he looked remarkably like the model in the Preferred Stock ad campaign that was all the rage those days) seemed a little overwhelmed. He'd been living in Asia for a few years while his parents worked as missionaries, and he felt out of place and awkward while trying to get over his culture shock. He didn't respond to any of my classmates' advances, much to their chagrin.

Now, I thought PSG was cute, and I was nice to him, but I had bigger fish to fry. I had one cute guy in Canada writing letters to me every week, one of my classmate's hilarious buddies calling me every night, and a serious case of unrequited love for the previously-blogged about Dud. So it came as quite a surprise when PSG asked me to be his girlfriend one afternoon while I was watching the guys play basketball while I waited for my ride. I was flattered, I admit it. Several prettier, more popular girls had tried to snag him and failed. I hadn't even tried to reel him in, and here he had fallen in my lap. Nice ego boost, but that was about it.

So I stupidly agreed to "go out" with him.

Because being flattered to be asked is always a good reason to start a relationship.

Turns out that PSG doesn't have much of a personality--but he is super jealous and possessive, so he's got that going for him. Why a guy like that asked the most flirtatious girl in the class to be his girlfriend, I'll never know. I think he must have grossly misjudged my level of popularity and thought he could use me as a ticket to the in-crowd. Heh. Not so much.

After four days of being boyfriend and girlfriend, PSG thought it was a good idea to tell me that he was in love with me. After 4 days! Awkward! I think I said "thank you." What else was I supposed to do? Tell some guy I barely knew that he owned my whole heart? Fat chance! He was barely leasing my left pinky.

A few weeks later, he tells me that he's been working on a poem for me. He gives it to me in a note as I'm about to leave for a youth rally in Canada (yes, the cute pen pal was going to be there, along with his cute friends). I should have dumped PSG right then, because teen poetry is almost always grounds for dismissal. But this poem was pretty well-written and mature. I was surprised, actually. There were a couple of lines where the meter was off, but it was pretty good for a teenager. I held a "do I dump him?" forum with the girls on the way to Canada and they were all so impressed by his romantic, poetry-writing ways that they convinced me to keep him. (But you better believe I didn't mention PSG's existence to the cute Canadian boy.)

After I got back from Canada, PSG left for a Thanksgiving-related family vacation. I enjoyed my break from him, and didn't bother to call the day he was supposed to get home--I figured I'd see him at school the next day. He was so miffed that I returned his buddy's call re: a homework assignment but didn't call him (PSG) he threw a spectacular hissy in the lunch line. That was suave. I decided I didn't need that static from a guy I could barely stay awake around, so I broke up with him the next day.

I did my best to breakup with him nicely. I (lied) told him he was great, that I didn't deserve him, that he should be with a girl who could appreciate his finer qualities. His eyes welled up with tears and he told me that he would love me forever. (I found out later that the guys caught him crying in the locker room before basketball practice, and I felt kind of bad. I've never been proud of my Heartbreaker tendancies.) It seemed like a pretty strong reaction from a guy who'd held hands with me once and never even tried to kiss me. Let's just say that I got over it quickly and with limited damage to my psyche.

Okay. I told you all that to tell you this.

Fast forward: A couple of months after I broke his heart, PSG is dating one of my friends. The fact that she's a freshman cheerleader with a gigantic rack probably had nothing to do with his interest in her. We'll call her Giggles, because she had a very distinctive laugh. Well, Giggles and I were hanging out with my best friend and her sister after school one day. I was bored, so I started flipping through my English text book. I was browsing happily through the poetry unit when what to my wondering eyes did appear, but the poem PSG had "written" for me in November. Only in present tense instead of past (which accounts for the aforementioned meter problems). That's right, that chucklehead tried to pass off a poem from our English text book as one of his own. What a genius! (To his credit, I suspect he copied it from one of his mother's poetry books and didn't realize it was in our textbook.) Since PSG and Giggles were fighting that day, I figured it would be funny to show her the note (luckily still buried in the pocket of my backpack) and the poem from the book. The four of us girls laughed until we were afraid we'd rupture something. I don't know if Giggles ever told PSG that I'd discovered the source of his poetic inspiration, but that Spring, our English teacher assigned the poem on the page across from PSG's poem to be read and discussed in class. I wonder if PSG ever figured out why reading a poem about a rose gave my best friend and I "coughing fits" that made tears pour down our faces?

But wait, there's more! The next year, my best friend started dating a new guy. The new guy also became friends with PSG. (PSG was officially cool and part of the in-crowd by this time, and I was still happily middle-of-the-road.) One day, my best friend mentioned the reason that PSG had been giving me the silent treatment all year was that we went out once upon a time and it ended badly. So her boyfriend asked PSG what happened and he told his friend that HE had dumped me, and that I had been INCONSOLABLE and cried in front of everyone. Man, I wish I could have seen my friend's boyfriend's face when she told him what really happened (if he could understand her through the howls of laughter). All I know is, he thought it was pretty stinkin' hilarious when he told me about PSG's version the next day. Everytime PSG was a jerk to him after that (which was often), he would mention something about crying because some chick dumped him. I'll always think of him fondly for that.

15 Comments:

  • you MUST tell me who this is. for real.

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 10:02 AM  

  • Well, his initials are G.S. (but many probably assume his first name starts with a J) and his last name is an adjective that could describe smells, opinions, or weight-lifters, among other things.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:28 AM  

  • his last name is stinky?

    By Blogger Lisa, at 11:08 AM  

  • Or maybe stong... Strong would make more sense. But i really have no idea, at all, who it is, Im just playing the game.

    though i was a cchs-er a while after you, so maybe i would know his name... hmmm...

    no, probably not.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 11:10 AM  

  • guffaw. i KNEW it had to be him. i played roxanne to his christian, and his lips creeped me out for their soft girlishness. be glad you never kissed him.

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 11:24 AM  

  • Lisa, you probably didn't hear anything about him. The most interesting thing he ever did was show up at Homecoming the year after we graduated looking like he'd been on a steady diet of steroids, protein shakes, and raw meat.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:30 AM  

  • RM, Oh yeah! I had forgotten about that! One of the things he was irrationally jealous about was the fact that I didn't get jealous over him kissing another girl in that play! Dude, it's acting. (Not to mention, there were like, a dozen other guys I would rather kiss than him, even though we WERE going out. At least I didn't tell him that part. I tried to be nice.)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:32 AM  

  • the whole deal actually creeped me out to the point that tina wagner and i actually SWITCHED roles like two days before opening night. mr parker was maaaaaaad. that's what you get for making tina wagner the understudy. if you didn't want her to be roxanne, don't make her my understudy.

    (i've always felt bad about letting him down like that... mr. parker, not GS.)

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 2:18 PM  

  • Okay that clarifies things, because Tina Wagner had something to do with the story in my head, but I couldn't figure out why. He started talking to her and hanging around her to try to make me jealous, but I guess I didn't notice. I suppose I was a bad girlfriend.

    And also: Hee!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:37 PM  

  • this was fun and entertaining to read! tell me another story gina!!

    By Blogger tara, at 2:24 PM  

  • Oh man, Angela! You have no IDEA how much I wish I had a good Brick story to tell. Really. I mean, there are probably a jillion little tiny incidents floating around in my brain, but none of them are worthy of sharing.

    Actually, he was a really good friend to me. He had a sort of earnestness than is conspicuously absent in so many teenage boys. He was a goof, no doubt about it...but capable of a depth of caring and concern that most kids lack. He's definitely among the people from my class that I miss the most. I ran into his parents at Pizza Hut a few years ago and they said he's doing really well. I guess he and Carrie spent a few years teaching in Japan, but they were back in the States last I knew. Sorry I don't have anything funny to share. Although, if you can get ahold of the CCHS 1989-1990 yearbook, his hilarious attempt at a moustache should give you a giggle!

    And can I just tell you how funny my mental picture of JS's chair-standing is? That's priceless. Man, that kid could be annoying. I once ended up picking him up by the neck and slamming him against the wall because he didn't know when to quit. But he WAS pretty funny, when he wasn't tempting you to commit justifiable homocide.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:50 PM  

  • I remember the GS episode, short though it was. I recall no tears but overwhelming frustration at GS's version and other things he said.

    But then, I don't know about you after your revealing and embarassing comment about me in a previous blog. I'm still blushing.

    And don't think the old people were in the dark when you and Killer were laughing when you first got here.

    Hmph!

    Sparky

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 PM  

  • Sparky, I would have thought you'd be proud to have your fame spread throughout the nations. It's nothing to be ashamed of, you know.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:42 AM  

  • I was taught to be dignified and discrete. Thanks to you, that has become almost impossible.

    I can't count the number of Tom cats who want to fight me now, nor all the lady cats who have been checking me out.

    But then, I'm a cat. I can't count, anyway.

    But it is very uncomfortable.

    As for being famous across the nations, no thank you! Not for that! If I was some kind of hero or celebrity actor, then being famous might be okay.

    As it is, now I slink around with my tail between my legs just trying not to be ogled.

    Thanks a lot. Now I know how pretty girls feel. I am not happy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 PM  

  • Sparky, I bet is IS uncomfortable...to walk! And I doubt you slink around with your tail between your legs...because there's no room for a tail in there!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home