One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Give a Little, Help a Lot

There was a time in my life, mercifully brief in the scheme of things, when I felt like I had only two friends in the world: my cat and my books. It seemed like the only place I could get any peace at school was in the Library with its uncomfortable chairs, new blue carpet, and shelves full of undiscovered treasures. Marge, the cranky librarian left me alone because my dad taught at the same school and she knew if she picked on me, he'd hear about it. I was left in peace to read dozens of Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden books, and a long forgotten favorite called, I think, The House of Thirty Cats. The mean girls didn't pick on me in the Library, I forgot about my bad skin and my mysterious boy-repellant force field. Life was good in the Library.

Every kid, every person, should have a sanctuary where they can escape the pangs of everyday life and find a little peace, a little adventure, a little magic. This is true for everyone, but especially true for people who are having a particularly tough time dealing with what life throws their way.

Hurricane Katrina destroyed many things, many lives, more than we can comprehend. Some kind Internet folks of my acquaintance are attempting to help several Gulf Coast libraries that were affected by the hurricane last summer. They are spearheading a donation drive to replenish the libraries in Harrison County, Mississippi. Since kid-level and flood-level tend to share the same space, several of these libraries lost their entire Children's Literature sections. That's just not right!

Please visit http://deweydonationsystem.org/ and read the discriptions of the libraries and their needs. If one inspires you, please take a look at their wish list and send a book their way. I know I don't have many readers, and that most of my readers don't have many dollars to spare. But if you have ever found solace in books, maybe you can forgo the popcorn and soda next time you go to the move theater and donate a book or two instead. If you spend more than $25 on books, shipping is free. Even if you can't afford to donate, please tell a friend (preferably a rich friend) and spread the word about this book drive. You'll never know how many lives will be touched, or how many dreams will be inspired, by just one book.
And remember, donating books is good Karma!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home