One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Friday, June 09, 2006

Elvis Has Left the Building: Top 8 Favorite Solo Acts

I was afraid you would have grown weary of my music-centric posts and was planning to use some other topic for today's Top 8, but Ty convinced me that since he was anxiously awaiting my solo artist list, I should just post it now. So blame him if you're bored.

I am once again limiting myself to artists who started their careers before I was born. Sarah McLachlan and Vince Gill may have beautiful voices, but they wouldn't fit in my list. Maybe I'll do a "Modern Music That Doesn't Make Me Run Away Screaming" list sometime to give them their due.

To clarify, I consider a singer a solo act if the act could absolutely no longer exist if they were removed from the equation. For instance, I realize that at least one one of my artists (Jimi Hendrix, for instance) was backed by a stellar band. But once Jimi died, it wasn't like anyone was calling The Experience to book a stadium tour. Rush, if you don't like my parameters, you can make your own solo act list.

Also, I'm going to break my own rules and start my list with a duo--because Simon and Garfunkel don't really count as a "band" to me, and their harmonies are so tight they almost sound like one voice sometimes. And also because it's my list and I can do what I want.

So here you go...

1.) Simon & Garfunkel (yeah, yeah--see above)

2.) Eric Clapton

3.) Bob Dylan

4.) James Taylor

5.) Jimmy Buffett

6.) Van Morrison

7.) Marvin Gaye

8.) Janis Joplin

Feel free to compliment me on my excellent taste.

14 Comments:

  • And an Honorable Mention to the late, great Jeff Buckley and Elvis Pressley. They'd have been included if I had a Top 10 list. But I figured I don't technically listend to Jeff Buckley enough to let him bump someone from the list. And Elvis gets enough attention from the tabloids, he doesn't need more from me.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:18 PM  

  • oh heck yes. simon and garfunkle.

    (garfunkle was the cute one, just in case anyone wants to know)

    (who am i kidding. everyone wants my opinion, right?)




    (right?)

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 12:19 PM  

  • what about jay? the americans were NOTHING without jay. nothing.

    By Blogger rebecca marie, at 12:19 PM  

  • Um, you can put Jay on your list, Rebecca Marie.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:01 PM  

  • Hello Darkness my old friend.

    Good stuff.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 PM  

  • Aaron, I resemble that remark. Or maybe you do.

    Wow--you're somebody's husband now! Congratulations and all that rot. I'm really happy for you--except for the one-year-of-separation-immediately-after-the-wedding thing. That part bites.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:25 PM  

  • I. Love. James. Taylor.

    And Sarah Mclachlin.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 1:47 PM  

  • Tom Petty might make my top ten.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:58 PM  

  • Once again Gina you have the approval of the "remember when" people

    By Blogger dodyb, at 4:31 PM  

  • Ty, I realized after posting my band list that I'd forgotten Tom Petty, so I posthumously added him to my band list. Although I think he might qualify for the solo list better. Hummmm. But I think it's cooler to leave Janis Joplin on the list than to sub her out for Tom Petty. He still has my love, though.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:34 PM  

  • I KNEW you'd nit-pick my parameters, Rush. Do we need to take it outside. I'm warning you, I have "numb-chucks" skills.

    First of all, I knew my Simon and Garfunkel selection was breaking my own rules--I admitted it freely! But I didn't want to just put Paul Simon because I think he's an egotistical, humorless ponce, even if he is a good songwriter. I just wanted to find a way to put Simon and Garfunkel at the top of one of my lists, and I don't know enough duos to come up with 8 good ones.

    Janis Joplin may have always been with a band, but I'm a music lover and I can't come up with the name of the band off the top of my head. AND all the albums I've seen/bought have her name, and only her name, splashed all over them.

    As for the Jim Morrison thing, a) The Doors were on my band list, and I like too much music to be repeating things, and b)The Doors exist without Jimmy Baby--they suck, but they do exist. Kinda like INXS, but not.

    Elvis Costello was deemed "too modern" to go on this list. He's got a place staked out on a future list.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:09 PM  

  • great picks! I agree whole heartedly with all...the ninth person i would add to my own list would be sting...gotta love man!!! pris

    By Blogger Priscilla, at 10:32 PM  

  • Gina, yeah the one year apart does stink. But then I seem to remember that you and Steve hadn't been married all that long before he got shipped to the UK for OIF 1.

    And considering my coloring and greater amount of time spent wearing black I think I'd resemble that more.

    You'd be more of the lamp post from "Feelin' Groovy".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 AM  

  • Don't worry, Rush. I know you couldn't help it--I made it irresistible. As for the great Simon and Garfunkel debate, let's put it this way: I own albums by both the duo and Simon alone. Let's just say that their combined efforts get exponentially more air time than Simon's solo work. I'm not trying to make a defining "Most Talented" list. Just a list of my personal favorites. You saw Jimmy Buffett on there, right? It's not like he'd be making it to the top of any definitive list--but his music makes me happy, so he's on mine.

    Aaron, while I'm flattered by the comparison to a lamp post (even though I'm built more like a public mail box), did you have to pick their lamest song? Couldn't I have been the chick from "Tuesday Morning, 3 a.m.? or Emily or Kathy or something? Even the rock from "I Am A Rock" would have been better--wouldn't have brought back the trauma of Mr. Wimmer's music class the way "Feelin' Groovy" does.

    Pris, I dig Sting, too. But I think I like his work with The Police marginally better than his solo work. But I'm an old lady and I'm supposed to think the old stuff is the good stuff!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home