One Feisty Blog

Background pictures courtesy of Laila

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Who DOES that???

I was chatting with a couple of single girlfriends a while ago, and they both had several stories about people (mostly older relatives) asking them, "So, when are you finally going to get married?"

I can't decide if I'm shocked, amused, or infuriated. It's just baffling.

Seriously, who does that? What is wrong with these people? I'm willing to bet that these are the same people who will scold you for putting your elbows on the table or not sending a thank you card in a timely manner. They're all about the good manners, these types. But it's perfectly okay to ask a single woman over the age of 25 when she's going to finally snag herself a husband and stop languishing away as a spinster? UGH!

What kind of answer do they expect to get from that question? And what kind of answer do you give to that question?

I suppose you could slap your forehead and say, "I knew I forgot something! I'll go find myself a husband right after I pick up my groceries and drop off some clothes at the dry cleaners. Thanks for reminding me."

Or maybe, "Thank you for pouring salt and lemon juice on my open wound. My fiancee, the love of my life, was killed in a tragic knitting accident last week. Since I'll never find another man like Herman, I've decided to become a nun."

Then there's my old standby from my spinster days, "I'm not going to get married. My life's goal is to become the crazy old lady with thirty cats who lives at the end of the block and scares all the neighborhood kids."

I just don't understand why people think this question is anywhere in the neighborhood of appropriate. It's not even in the same universe as appropriate! I mean, why must people persist in assuming that it's impossible to be happy and fulfilled AND single? It's not. I've tried it. It was great! Being married is great, too--but I only think that because I have a good marriage, and I have that because I didn't settle. If I'd accepted the first proposal I received (or the second, or the third, or the forth...), I would have been miserable. Far more miserable than I would have been if I'd never met Steve and went the crazy cat lady route instead.

It's just insulting when people treat single people like they're "less than" because they aren't married. As if you can't be a whole person without a spouse! WhatEVER! Too often, I see the opposite--married people of both genders who have lost their sense of self because of an abusive, neglectful, or overpowering mate. They aren't happy, they aren't fulfilled. And I seriously doubt any of them think their marriage is the end all and be all of earthly existence. I wonder if the old biddies who nagged them to get married are proud of their achievements?

Maybe it comes down to this: It's no one's business but one's own. This goes for getting married, having a baby, having another baby (or having baby number 8, for that matter), getting a new job/car/hairdo, ordering a hamburger for breakfast, and even when you decide to take down your Christmas tree. I'm sure you can think of other topics that annoying people like to think are their business. Feel free to comment about them here or post a rant on your own blog. Maybe it will get just one person to think twice about asking rude questions that don't concern them.

I feel like starting a "Mind Your Own Business" public service ad campaign. Sort of like "The More You Know," but more helpful. And more hilarious.

14 Comments:

  • I'm tired of people having opinions on MY diet:

    "Oh my, are you gaining weight?"
    "No, and if you leave, I'll lose ugly fat."

    "You don't like ONIONS? I LOVE them."
    "Yeah, we can tell by the aroma."

    "Don't you know that red meat will kill you"
    "Better to die young than live as a miserable busybody."

    "Eating out will make you fat."
    "I can tell that you've learned from experience."

    "Oh, Atkins is unhealthy. You don't est enough vegetables, and too much fat."
    "Questioning my dietary choices is unhealthy, and I ate more vegies and less fat on the Atkins than I ever did in my regular life."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 PM  

  • Tim? I don't know who you are, but I think I love you.

    I feel a song coming on...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:32 PM  

  • there may not be enough storage in the entireity of the internet to post the blog that I feel motivated to do about this subject. I'm single for some good damn reasons and until I get struck by a perverbial thunderbolt from the hand of the almighty himself. I shall remain.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 PM  

  • It's good to know that there's some on "your side of the fence" that can still stick up for the "poor, defenseless, single" people of the world. I face this exact dilemma every single blasted holiday season by the same exact blasted relatives. I'm a revolutionary/rebel in my family for being the first female in my family to not wed by the age of 19. I'm only 24...I don't see myself as doomed to spinsterhood...but obviously my family has another thought.
    Gina, you light up my life.

    By Blogger Christi, at 6:27 PM  

  • "Are you trying for a boy now?"

    No, we're trying for a BABY now. Would you like to watch? NO? I can't imagine why! Maybe because offering to let you watch is just as offensive as you asking if we're so unhappy with the fact that we have two girls that we need to try for a boy.

    *we got our boy, no audience necessary.


    BTW, greetings, my Queen! Hugs and kisses, your favorite Spring Chicken. ;)

    By Blogger Meg, at 10:45 PM  

  • ah yes, i had a lady ask me why we havent had a baby, after trying for 2 years...."uuuh, if i knew, dont you think i would remedy it??" then she proceeded to say, in all seriousness, "you better hurry, your eggs are shriveling up as we speak" what the crap??!!

    By Blogger tara, at 4:51 PM  

  • Oh. My. Word.

    It's worse than I thought! I'm seriously peeved on your behalf.

    Some people need to be smacked. Repeatedly. HARD!

    And they need embarrassing answers to their rude questions--maybe enough humiliation will ween them from their rudeness. Let's make a list of Replies to Humiliate Rude, Nosy People into Better Behavior.

    And also: Whoa! Megan, if you are who I think you are (and with the Spring Chicken reference, how could you not be), I was just asking someone a little while ago if they knew where you were and what you were up to! It's so crazy-awesome to know you're still, you know, on the planet and stuff. As soon as I catch up with the piles of work on my desk, I'm coming over to your blog to catch up on your life and times.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:23 AM  

  • My sister-in-law that lives with me and Luke is single... and never plans to change her marriage status! I get uuuber annoyed for her all the time. Because I am the one who gets asked the question... NOT HER! "When is D_____ going to ger married? When will she get a boyfriend? She never wants to Marry? what is wrong with her? She'll change her mind when she meets Mr. Right..."...blah, blah, blah!

    At least these people have sense enough to talk to me and not her. But just the thought that she isn't a complete person until she is married... drives me CRAZY!

    She IS a complete person! LEAVE her alone! Leave ME alone! Just mind your own bee's wax!


    Thanks for giving me an outlet for this inner pain, Gina! You rock.

    p.s. still no prego Gina picture! Still a sad kk. :)

    By Blogger Kara Deal, at 11:55 AM  

  • Seriously? These people need to get a hobby! Why on earth do they think they need to know these things about other peoples' lives? I mean, if they were close friends, I could see the curiosity as justified--but if they were close enough friends to be justified in asking, they wouldn't have to ask because they'd already know. If not, they're just Nosy Parkers. And they need to QUIT IT! Ugh!

    Of course, if I were to gently let these nosy people know that their questions are rude and gossipy, they'd waste no time in telling everyone they know how rude and cold and impertinent I am. There's no winning, I guess. But I wish there was some way to get the message across.

    As for the pregnant Gina photos, a couple exist, but my computer technician is out of town for a while, and I don't know how to post them by myself. Guess you'll have to be patient...Good luck with that! =P

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:07 PM  

  • The next time some busy-body rubs your belly, reach out and grab her boob. When she looks at you with shock that YOU would dare grab HER breast, say to her with the utmost innocence, "What? I thought it was International Grope a Stranger Day!"

    Yes, m'dear, tis I, and I haven't fallen off the planet. I come close pretty frequently, but haven't made it all the way yet. We're in OKC now. More the armpit of the earth, rather than the edge of the planet.

    By Blogger Meg, at 11:35 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:28 AM  

  • Sweet! I'm so glad it's you! I've missed you, man!

    As I was reading your boob-grabbing advice (after I got done giggling), I realized that you just might be our blog friend, Rebecca Marie's, long lost humor-twin. That sounded just like something she would say. Buuuuuuut, I'm not going to encourage you to visit her blog and strike up a buddy-ship, because the two of you together--especially if our beloved Arwen gets in the mix--would quickly find a way to take over the world. I just don't think I can handle having that on my conscience.

    Not that you wouldn't excell at being an evil dictator...I just wouldn't feel right about leading anyone I like down the path to a career in politics

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:29 AM  

  • now that we are back from europe, everyone is saying "time to make babies, right?"

    mind your won business.

    By Blogger tabitha jane, at 9:49 AM  

  • Oh, brother, Tabs! Why do people think it's okay to ask that? Let alone NAG you about it!?!

    Seriously. People need to strike that question from their vocabularies. It's just rude, no matter how you slice it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home