Swoon: Top 8 Cary Grant Movies
An interviewer once said to Cary Grant, "Everybody would like to be Cary Grant", Grant is said to have replied, "So would I." I love a man who has every reason to take himself too seriously but doesn't.
And so, without further ado, my Top 8 Favorite Cary Grant Movies...
1.) The Philadelphia Story
2.) His Girl Friday
3.) Bringing Up Baby
4.) My Favorite Wife
5.) Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
6.) Arsenic and Old Lace
7.) The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer
8.) North by NorthwestThis was the first time I was really tempted to make my Top 8 a Top 10, since it seems a sin to leave To Catch a Theif and An Affair to Remember off my list. But I found a way to mention them without technically breaking any self-imposed rules, so there you go. If you haven't seen these movies, get thee to a Blockbuster, ASAP!
I recently discovered some interesting tidbits of information about Cary Grant:
- he has only one front tooth (lost one in a childhood acident and got someone at a dental college to squish the others together so he wouldn't get in trouble with his father)
- he turned down the role of James Bond
- during World War II, he donated his salaries from two of his biggest films to war relief efforts
- he was devoted to his stepson, and continued to play a paternal role in his life for nearly 30 years after he and Barbara Hutton divorced (Lance's death in a plane crash devastated him, but he helped Barbara arrange the funeral)
- he named his dog Archie Leech (which was his birth name)
- he very wisely retired from film at the age of 62 (while he was still far more attractive than a mortal man should be), thus preserving his persona instead of hanging around too long and becoming a shell of his former self
I'm sure he was capable of being a right bastard in real life (I've heard he, um, wasn't easy to live with), but knowing these little things about him makes me swoon over him just a little more than I did before. And I was already pretty swoony in the first place. I'm just glad he chose a screen name--it would be embarrassing to be this besotted over a guy named Archie Leech.